Disney Princess Half Marathon

This past weekend I did the disney princess half marathon with two of my friends. For one of them, it was their first half marathon and this was a monumental milestone. We had decided that we would complete this as a team. This was definitely an experience for all three of us.

For the past week I didn't train a single day. I had achieved my half marathon goal and thought to myself that I deserved a week off. So I ate junk food, and enjoyed my afternoons workout-free. I'm not going to lie, not working out for a week was fun. However, I could feel my body getting out of shape by the junk I was putting in it.

So Saturday morning we packed up the car and drove to Orlando. The car trip was really fun and like the typical girls we are, we picked up some junk food and talked about everything. We got to the expo and picked up our gear. After the expo we had some lunch and headed back to the hotel. We did some shopping and i ended up scoring some running shorts for $3. We tried to make it an early night since we had to wake up before the early crack of dawn, but we stayed up talking and didn't fall asleep until later on.

Two thirty came way too fast and we woke up tired but ready to go. We quickly got dressed and headed out to the race. Getting to our corral was chaotic but once we got in, all my nerves were screaming. The biggest thing for this race was making sure we didn't get picked up by the bus. The bus is set out to pick up all racers who could not maintain a 16 min/mile. I had read this pace was based off of the last racer it but I'm not sure if that is true or not. We knew we could do it, but the possibility of getting picked up by the bus added a little bit more stress in our lives.

The first couple of miles we started off really well! We maintained a 17 min/ mile pace, took pictures as we walked, and had overcast weather to our advantage. At mile 8, we had seen the buses butthey didn't   seem to be moving so we figured we were fine. However, mile 10 came and my first time half marathoner friend hit the proverbial wall. At this point, we were extremely nervous about the buses. There were other people around us who were freaking out and even started running. The stress level was through the roof.

At one point we looked down and saw no one down at the bottom; they had been swept. We kept chugging along thou and crossed the finish line as a team. It was pretty Awesome to be a part of her accomplishment. It definitely gave me a new perspective on running. Overall, great experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon