When Sickness Kicks You Down...

kick its ass right back....

So you guys probably don't know this (or maybe you do now) but I've been pretty sick the last couple of days... It started on Thursday (which I decided to ignore its symptoms) and so I moronically ran 2 miles as my last cool down before the half marathon.. Yeah right I should have relaxed and not run at all.... So Friday I woke up and I felt like poo. Yes poo. I couldn't get out of bed and my headache from hell woke me up in the middle of the night- about 7 times. I was actually pretty concerned and I thought about going to the hospital. I felt dizzy and couldn't think coherently but I still tried to sleep it off. So Friday morning when I woke up, I was tired and not happy. I napped about 4-5 times throughout the day and the only venture I made outside was to get my race packet with G, Walgreens and work to have a friend handoff my earphones I stupidly left at my desk.

So I decided early on that I would not let whatever this was get the best of me so I did what I know best- Google "How to beat a cold in a day" bwahahaha yes I actually did that. So after reading about 10 different sites, I went on my merry way to Walgreens. I bought OJ, vapor rub, and Emergencee. Now I learned a good tip about Emergencee from my friend T- mix it with OJ and it won't taste that bad. She is pure genius (and on that note I want to say a special thanks to my friends who are moms and were thinking about me and giving me advice on how to feel better).

So Saturday rolls around and the headache from hell is still not letting up and neither is the grossness in my lungs. So I take my Emergencee and go back to bed (I even missed a tire changing clinic which sucked because I have no idea how to fix a flat). I was so sick I just needed to go back to bed. My husband went golfing in the morning and before he left I had admitted to myself and him out loud that the race was probably not going to happen and that I was defeated. So I kept napping, trying to eat and googling more ways on how to get better. I found some other good information, and so my sick butt went back to Walgreens to buy- Echinecha. So with all my drugs and supplements I took Ibuprofen, Echinecha, Emergencee, and Zinc and just napped off and on through out the day. By the end of the night I was feeling better and so I thought that there was a chance I could actually run Sunday. So I prepped myself a little and started downloading music, tried to eat more (I literally didn't consume more than 1000 calories each day nor was I hydrating myself to the point I should have been), and got my head together. Now, I was only going to race if I felt okay, and not like the death the two days before lol. My parents came up to watch me and they all tried to talk sense into me before I went to bed and set my alarm for 2:40 a.m....

So I wake up on Sunday, and felt okaayyyy.... and so I made the decision... to run :) Now, I know that I wasn't exactly 100% and so I decided no matter what I had to take it easy- for real. This wasn't a 5K or anything- it was 13.1 miles, and I know that kind of mileage is trying on anyone- healthy or not. So I tried eating half a piece of bread with peanut butter and some gatorade (this is am improvement from my usual not eating anything before a race) to have some fuel before the race. So I got all my stuff together for the race (along with my awesome Jelly Beans I LOVE) and set off for the race with my parents! It was crazy 13,000 runners or more mostly women. I LOVE it. The race is fun and amazing and so entertaining the whole way through. I definitely took it easy but was so glad for it to be over. My official time was 2:20 which I have to say is amazing for how awful I felt. I am still on the road to recovery and still trying to be smart but I'm happy I did it!... One important thing in those races is to really listen to your body.. and I did- so it worked :) Heres a look at my medal (which I frickin deserved):




Training Tip #1: When training hard, your body's immunity is at its peak, once you let up training hard your body's immunity becomes susceptible to viruses/bacteria (which is probably what happened to me). If you are letting up, consistently take immunity supplements to keep your immunity defense high.

Training Tip #2: On race days (any race not just half marathons), don't try anything new. No new clothes, running techniques, drinks, gels - NOTHING. You might not react well to it and either do poorly or feel poorly.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Evie! So proud of you. Hope you're feeling back to your ol'self soon. Love you!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I read your blog. I hope you are feeling much better. You're not going to bring any cooties to work are you??

    ReplyDelete

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon