I tried Orange Theory :)

I've been in a rut. A pretty bad rut. I've tried to shake it off and pretend that I'm not in a rut, but it's utterly useless. I don't get excited to go run, I don't enjoy racing, and I don't want to workout. I don't think I've ever felt this way before. So, to get out of my rut I decided to try something new. 

So, one of the girls at work has been talking to me about trying out Orange Theory, especially since I was moving to her neck of the woods. I've heard it before and had seen their booth at some races, but never really approached them or researched them. I figured now was a good time to try something new, and so today was the day. I'm not going to lie, I was excited when I woke up this morning. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I figured I needed to bring my A-game (I'm pretty lame I know). 

Right when I pull up I see my co-worker already heading in, and follow behind her. I got signed up and put my heart rate monitor on. Signing in was super quick and since we had a lot of time to kill we watched the class before us finish up their workout. I'm sure it was awkward for them, but whatever. Right after they finish up we bolt to the treadmills (I was told their a hot commodity) and put our stuff down. We warm up before class officially starts, and after a couple of minutes, it's time to begin. 

Now, this workout is based off HIT principles. If you started on the treadmill, your first workout involved: the treadmill, kettle bells, and the rower. There were a variety of workouts incorporated in the workout, but it was all based on a specific distance. You had about 12 minutes to do the first circuit, and your goal was to finish every workout listed on the board. I got pretty far down the list, but didn't hit them all. 

Next you moved to the bench. This circuit was a little different because it only had two real workouts: burpees and a workout involving the bench). You did 21 reps of both, then 15, and then 9. If you finished before time was up, there were four other workouts you could do until time was called. I luckily got to finish this interval, but holy crap did burpees suck. At about this time, I already felt sore. 

Then it was back to the treadmill. This interval was treadmill specific and was driven off of time. They had you run up a "hill" for a specific amount of time, sprint for a specific amount of time, and push your pace at certain times. After doing those burpees my legs felt like giant logs that weighed at least 200 pounds. I pushed through it, but it hurt bad.

The last circuit killed me. Utterly destroyed me. It was TRX training bands, pushups, some weight work, and rowing. The TRX training was embarrassing, and I don't think I could even do one normal push up my arms felt so weak. I struggled horrendously in this interval and tried my best, but holy crap are my arms sore as I type. (For the record, I decided to do a quick Jillian Michael's video yesterday (30 Day Shred - Level 2 to be exact), and felt a little sore as a result from it. Not that I'm making excuses for myself, but c'mon that has to be worth something! )

Then it was over. We had finally finished. I was drenched but felt accomplished. I was monitoring my heart rate on the screen (they have it up high so you can see how you're heart rate is progressing), and happy with what I saw, but realized that I need to really push it some more Needless to say, I loved it.  Now, it's expensive, but honestly if you know you're going to do it, it's worth it. 

After thinking it over, I am most likely doing 4 classes a month. It ends up being $59/month without a contract, which is pretty good. Their other packages are more expensive, but again - if you're going to use it, then it's worth it. I didn't get a chance to sign up yet, but I'm hoping I can get it done by the end of the week so I can try to go to another class next weekend :)

Thought of the Moment: Am I really contemplating doing the Rock n Roll half Marathon in Vegas? I think so :) This might be the push I need get out of this rut :) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon