The Fast Runners

This past week I made an interesting observation: Runners are attracted to fast runners. I think about my own interactions and notice myself in awe of those runners who are the faster ones in the pack. I never really thought about this observation until this past week's run club.

The last couple of times at run club, I have not pushed myself to my limits. I've either gone with guests, or have had"easy runs" scheduled for that particular day. However, this week I was game for a faster run.

I started with the middle group (9 minute milers) and after 5 minutes was ahead of them. The fast runners (7 minute milers) are too fast for me and so I tend to stick a little ahead of the middle group. I'm a in-betweener lol. This week was no different and so I started with the middle group. Two of the guys in the group started taking off, and so I paced behind them as best as I could. The slower group had started a couple of minutes ahead of us, and in no time we had caught up to some of them. I kept going, listening to the mackelmore cd n my iPod :)

Then the "situation" happened. As I was passing one of the guys, he started to speed up. He paced right with me for about half a mile, and then pushed ahead. You could tell that he was not having me pass him, and so I made it a point to gun him down (yes I'm immature - but he started it)...so I kept my pace and just did my best to close the gap. I actually had my Garmin with me and so as I was getting closer I pushed the pace up. Then.. I caught up to him.. And I passed him:) I could hear his footsteps picking up, and so I turned my music up and just tried to focus on the fast beats. At this point the fast runners were catching up and so I tried to match their footsteps to catch up the rest of the way. I finally brought it in, and went back to cheer in my friend g in.

Once he got back from his run, we went to get some water. The guy who was trying to pass me was there, and I tried to avoid any type of contact. However, he came up to me and started talking about how I motivated him. At this point I felt like a jacka$$ because he was just trying to push himself and I thought he was being a jerk. He told me I had a good run and that I did fantastic. A couple of other people approached me later and talked to me about my run.

Then it hit me. The last couple of weeks I had not had one person approach me. Then this week I was ahead of most of the pack and was talked to more. Coincidence, maybe. But this is definitely note worthy and worth paying attention to. If this is true, it's kind of sad. Instead of trying to encourage everyone and talking to everyone in the group, people will only talk to faster runners. Like I said before, I myself am victim of this.

I am going to Run club again this coming week. This time though I'm going to start with the fast group and try to keep up. I'll let you know how that goes..

I better go to bed since I've got orange theory in the morning :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon