Sushi as a Pre-race Meal? Who knew!!

Last night I had sushi for dinner. It was my friend K's bday and in an effort to try to find something healthy, I opted for sushi. I've actually had sushi as a pre-race meal before and ended up doing really well, but you know that you need a second success before making it a tradition.

So this morning I woke up ready to go for my tri! I honestly haven't been training, but I figured since I've been cross training I would be okay. The race was in a park, and the course was pretty much flat and didn't have as many bike loops as last time. My biggest concern for the race was actually the swim. Last tri I had a complete melt down in the water, and so I was trying hard not to psych myself out for this one. This race was nice because I had two of my friends doing it: G and C PLUS I had three friends watching K,B, A (A took the pictures I'm posting). Races are definitely more fun when you have people you know in them.

Since this was a smaller race, there were only 3 waves and me and C were in the last wave. C had a friend there (S) and so all three of us wished each other luck. Seconds later the horn started and we were off. This swim course was kind of tricky. There were no buoys that guided you so you kind of had to find the most direct route on your own. I "sight" a lot when I swim so I was fine. "Sighting" is when you take a moment to look up while you're free styling. When you look up, you're "sighting" an object.

The swim started, and like any other race, I totally got kicked in the face lol. It's really not as bad as people think it is. I mean you're going to get kicked, run into, and swallow some water - that's just the way it is. I tend to be in the back so I waited it all out and then got into my steady stroke. As I gained speed my chest tightened and I could feel myself panicking a little bit. After a couple of minute, I still couldn't shake it so I tried breathing more. Sometimes when you start off to fast you can literally run out of breath and so you need to just slow down a tad. I ended up just breathing more and was able to complete my swim without a meltdown.

My transition was fine. I mean there's nothing to really report about during transitions. I don't clip in and so I end up just wearing my running shoes. I did learn today about some new pedals that might be able to help me: Power Grips. They have a strap that will help bring your foot up with less effort. Talk about a win :)

During the bike I just tried to focus on catching the people in front of me. The course was flat which was awesome and I know that course relatively well. Again, nothing exciting to report. However, after the race I found out that I was averaging 18.5 mph. I can remember during my first tri when I was struggling to go 13 mph. Crazy how much time I've cut since starting out on this journey.

I came back from the bike and was ready to kick booty on the run. I got to wear my awesome headband (the Will Run for ...pictures of junk food...) The run went quickly and was pretty well shaded. I had a couple of people who I was pacing off of and I think that definitely helped.

Official Results: 1:07 something... I was so happy with this time!!! Here re some pictures!!!






Lesson of the race: Eat More Sushi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon