The Battlefrog Series is No Joke

So this past Saturday I participated in the Battlefrog Series and it was crazy. I signed up for the race at the last minute, and didn't really think about it until I woke up that morning.

So, what is this Battlefrog Series race you may ask? Well, this race was a Navy Seals 5K Obstacle Course. I thought it would be fun even though it was pretty expensive. I looked up the obstacles the night I signed up, and they looked difficult, but not too bad. The night before the race my friend, N, posted a picture of the actual course and obstacles on Facebook, and I almost pooped my pants.

I only thought there were like 7 obstacles. Well, nope. There were over 15 obstacles that looked ridiculously hard. I tried to shove them out of my head and go to bed. The next morning it hit me all at once. Holy crap, I was going to feel a lot of pain.

We get to the race and right off the bat you could see participants going through some of the obstacles. I'll admit I was excited about going through some of the obstacles, but I was still pretty nervous. Once we got to check-in the nerves started and I just wanted to get this thing over with. I had to wait for our wave to start which felt like an eternity. Finally - it was time to start.

To start the race we had to climb over a gate. After climbing over the gate we had to wait a couple of more minutes while our squad leader pumped us up. When the gun finally went off, we got started by jogging. Our first couple of obstacles weren't too bad: a wall ladder, log trunks we had to get over, and getting through a window. Once we cleared these obstacles, we headed towards the beach where we had to get in the water.

Water?? What the hell!?!!?!? I didn't know we would be getting wet, let alone go in the ocean. Maybe it was better that I didn't know. The first obstacle was carrying a heavy ass sandbag in the water like 100 meters. Afterwards we had to go over and under like 10 logs in the ocean. Once we got back on the beach we had to jump some hurdles on the beach (these hurdles were like small walls). We also had to climb slippery rocks and I of course fell and ate it. Everyone kinda gasped when I fell, and for good reason. It hurt like a bitch!!! I have a giant bruise to prove it, which I got almost instantaneously.

Once we got off the beach we encountered some monkey bars (which I successfully cleared), crawled through a tunnel (which I was small enough to bear crawl through), and waded through the water. I think I pretty much giggled the entire time I did these obstacles.

Then we started to get to the hard crap: the inverted ladders, giant walls (which I forgoed 2 of these obstacles and opted for burpees instead).  We did a bunch of other crap in between but I don't remember what the obstacles were called. I just know that it was hard, and it sucked. The inverted ladder was pretty scary, but I managed to go over it. I think it's because I just did it without thinking about it too hard. If I did, I think I would have had a panic attack like the girl next to me when she got to the top.

One of the final obstacles was a giant wall that you had to get over by climbing to the top. Once you finished climbing it, you shot down a slide to a muddy pit of water. Your last obstacle was to army crawl through mud - my favorite of course (it's really not - I hate getting dirty). You wanna know what was awesome? Actually climbing up the giant wall! Ok - I definitely had some help, but I was really close. Once I got to the top, I didn't hesitate. I shot down the slide, because it was super high up and I couldn't think about it. I'm afraid of heights. Like really afraid. I can't believe I did the obstacles I did. I was surprised at myself, and proud. Proud that I tried instead of passing on them.

Overall, the race was awesome. The check-in was disorganized, but everything else was very well organized and laid out. I would definitely want to do this race again, but I would want to train a little more with weights.  Here are some pics of the race:

I look so freaking focused.

Our mini team that conquered the course together!

My rope didn't have knots!!!

I was sooooo dirty....
I was supposed to log my long run this weekend, but of course I felt like death. I cycled for 30 minutes instead and finished up by getting in 10 pushups and 50 crunches. Tomorrow, OTF! Until then - Happy Trails :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon