Back from a Week Off!!

I actually took a break last week. Work was ridiculously crazy and I was dead tired after work every day. So I decided that I would take a break from all sorts of working out. Not only did I not do any sorts of any physical activity, but I ate ridiculously horrible. I figured I might as well shock my system :)

And so today I'm back :) I found a new 10 week workout plan that is geared for those runners who participate in a lot of 5Ks. Here is the link to the page: http://running.competitor.com/2011/06/training/the-10-week-advanced-5k-training-plan_31348

After not working out for a week, I must admit it felt nice to get my blood pumping. I wanted to get an early workout in an so I started the first day of my training plan. Today's workout called for an "easy run" that is 30 seconds to 2 minutes slower than your targeted 5K time. I'm not sure of my exact splits, but I know that my first mile was done at about 8:30. All together I did 3.54 in 30 minutes, which is about what I wanted to run today. Not only did I get a run in, but I managed to do a Jillian's Michael Revolution DVD in the afternoon. Since I've decided to restart my crazy workouts, I figured I might as well get some strength training in as well. This week I want to try to manage to do two a day workouts, since this training plan will be getting harder in the next couple of week. Then starting next week I will start incorporating my triathlon training since my next tri is coming up at the end of June.

I must admit that taking a break from running and strength workouts was probably a smart idea. I train year round and constantly feel the aches and pains from all of my workouts. In all those running magazines they always talk about taking some time off, but I figured why take time off when I felt great... Wrong... It's good to let your body recover and sleep in a weekend or two a year lol. Now, I'm not going to get crazy and take off from working out once every couple of months, but I might try to aim to take off a week once a year lol.

I want to wake up early tomorrow and get my strength training done in the morning. Tomorrow afternoon I will try to undertake the hills at a park nearby. Let's just see how it goes :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon