Praying for Boston

Today tragedy struck Boston during the Boston Marathon. Two explosions went off at the finish line causing harm to over a hundred spectators and killing three innocent people. It is absolutely appalling and heartbreaking. My prayers have been sent to that broken city.

The Boston Marathon is one of the most prestigious races. You have to freaking apply to even be considered to run the race (even if you're qualified)!!! It's pure insanity and every amateur runner's dream. I've had friends run it in the past and have been in awe of their pure awesomeness :) Although, I've never wanted to run it, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to qualify for that specific race.

So today was just another year in the Boston Marathon. The city shuts down and the city stands and watches as it is taken over by runners. But this year turned out to be different as chaos and fear struck in  every persons heart when they heard the first initial explosion. The scene is absolutely devastating on tv, and I couldn't even imagine what it was like at the actual scene. They keep replaying the initial scene, where runners are just pulling together all of their energy for the finish line when an explosion throws them off their tracks. People fall, smoke is everywhere, and you see first responders running into the smoke. It's just sad. People physically train for months for this race, raise money, spend a good amount of money, and mentally prepare for the pain and cramps they will endure for 26.2 miles.

I've only done one marathon and I'll never do one again. I know the pain you experience those last final miles, the mental wall you hit at some point during the run, and the time you sacrifice training for months. However, it's all worth it once you cross that finish line and accomplish something you've never accomplished before. For those people in Boston who didn't get to cross that finish line, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that because of a stupid act from a coward you didn't accomplish what you set out to do that day. Instead, you were stopped and told to go somewhere else without any idea of where to go and probably in extreme pain. You couldn't reach your family and you had no idea what was going on. I would probably break down at this point, start crying and go to a random corner until I was able to remotely move again. I'd be scared and confused, just like everyone else. For those of you who were watching those runners, cheering them on, and part of the Boston Marathon team, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that someone or some people ripped that enthusiasm and encouragement right out of you. All you wanted to do is support your loved one and put together one of the best events in the United States. For those of you who crossed that finish line, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that someone or some people ruined your excitement and adrenaline. You ran your heart out, and then it was crushed. It was crushed because everyone around you was saddened and dazed.

I ended up running my measly four miles on my treadmill today, since the weather was bad. I turned on the TV and watched the replays of what happened in Boston today. I'm not going to lie it made me angry to the point where I was sprinting on the treadmill. It made me angry that whoever this was went after runners and their families. It made me angrier that they had no idea who it was or why they did it. I hope this find this moron soon, and throw the book at him.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon