Getting Focused

My best workouts happen when I'm focused; most days I'm not focused. It's hard to be focused when you've been working out at least 5 days a week for the last 10 years. However, today I was focused. I got on my bike and wanted to pour out every ounce of energy into my workout. Why? Because I was frustrated, anxious, and annoyed. The last couple of weeks small frustrations in my personal life have been building up. So today I let it go, and it felt amazing. 

Letting go of things is not very easy for me. I'm notorious for holding grudges and writing people off who have wronged me, but it's funny how your perspective changes as you get older. You become a little bit more tolerant and I'm assuming it's because you can put yourself in other people's shoes. Let me tell you something, if you can learn to let things go by taking it out on your workout, then not only do you have a badda** workout, but you also experience a little bit more peace in your life. 


So what was my workout today? An hour long cycling session at home with my headphones on. I started with a 6 minute warm-up followed by 5 minute "hill intervals." Every time I hit one minute in my 5 minute hill interval, I increased the gear. My last gear increase made my quads sting, but it only made me want to go faster.  After each hill interval, I slowed down for 3 minutes of a recovery spin in between sets. The headphones definitely helped me with my workout, and I definitely learned that I need newer upbeat music. A new playlist can always put a boost in your workout.

Yesterday's workout was also fantastic. I participated in a 5K for the Broward Victim's Rights Coalition  and they had put together blue and yellow ribbons to pin onto your shirt for the Boston victims. It's crazy how runners can unite for other runner's (or fantastic spectators) they've never even met. I wore my pin proudly :)   


The race itself was humid and muggy. It was the same kind of weather we had last year, but I tolerated it much better this time around. Again, I started off way too fast, but I leveled it off before a mile and a half. I remember looking down at my Garmin for 1.5 miles and seeing it say 11:15. If only I could maintain that pace the whole way through, eh? One day :) I ended up with a 24:08 which was pretty amazing considering the type of weather conditions. The sucky part was that I placed fourth overall for the women's division, getting 1st in my age group. Top four women were only a minute apart, which isn't too bad. 

My next race is Saturday: a 6K for Heroes in Recovery. However, what I'm most excited about is the fun run tomorrow to memorialize the Boston Marathon victims. They're even selling shirts in which all proceeds go towards the Boston Marathon victims. You know I'm getting one :) I'll post a picture up in the next few days!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon