Without my Ipod

I enjoy running with my Ipod, but who doesn't? When a good beat comes on I feel myself speed up and  lose myself in the music. In triathlon word though, Ipods are considered contraband.

So every once in a while I run without my Ipod and I must say that it's peaceful. I let my mind wander and I just focus on running, the sound of my heart beating, and the rhythm of my breathing. With everything that's going on my life, it's just perfect.

Today's workout of the day: a six mile run. Instead of doing my usual six mile run, I did something a little bit different. Over the past couple of days, I felt like I've been neglecting my two dogs so I wanted to take them on a little run. Now one of my dogs went to the vet that afternoon and isn't the athletic type, however, my other dog is a little running machine. So I made the decision to take my athletic dog for a two mile run. However, my brilliant two mile run with the dog turned into a not so brilliant idea. Since it was hot my dog was really struggling and after a mile we had to stop and walk. I felt like she was uncomfortable so I tried to take her to a small canal on the side of the road to wet her feet and cool off. She put her feet in the water, and seemed to become re-energized. However, for the rest of the mile we jog/walked. Overall, we had a blast.

I dropped her off at home and ran the four remaining miles. I started off with a brisk pace, and wanted to negative split the second half. For those of you who don't know what negative splitting means, it's pretty much running lingo for running the second half faster than the first half. I definitely believe I accomplished my goal :)

Some irks about my runs: those dumb summer gnats that get in your face and mouth, stupid peanut gallery comments from cars, and a cramp in my side.

Other then that... perfect! Now for those of you who don't ever run unless armed with an Ipod, you should try leaving it behind one day. Who knows? You might just like running without it...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon