Biggest loser uproar

Yesterday I watched the biggest loser finale, and was shocked by one of the contestants. I had only watched a couple of shows and recognized some of the contestants, so tuning into the finale wasn't a very big deal to me. I cheered for the contestants as they revealed their weight and have to admit that I may have shed a couple of tears. The final three contestants walked out and when the female contestant, Rachel, walked out, my jaw dropped. She looked like a walking skeleton. I hate to be so blunt, but that was it was hard not to think that way. The strong and vibrant girl I had seen on some of the episodes had whittled away and looked about ten years older. 

As someone who is constantly on social media sites, I turned to Facebook to see what other people were thinking. The biggest loser wall was flooded with comments about this girls weight. Websites were already headlining the story. Even though I was appalled by the results, I truly felt bad for this young woman. She put herself out there for the world to see and may have taken this challenge a bit too far. But, what do we define too far? Once you lose more than your goal weight? Once you can fit two legs in one of your old pant legs?? The question is.. Does the person realize they took it too far?

Fast forward to today. I continued to look through different posts and websites about Rachel from the biggest loser and somehow ended up finding a link to the first biggest loser female winner: Ali Vincent.i found out that  she had her own site: http://livewellnetwork.com/Live-Big-with-Ali-Vincent/episodes/Ali-Vincent-Steps-on-Scale-and-Reveals-Her-Weight-Gain/9405085. This pairticular link posted has to do with her slow weight gain since she lost the show. She talks about how she is under constant scrutiny about her weight because of the show. How much do you weigh is often the first question people ask her and the fact that she has gained makes her feel angry and embarrassed. I highly recommend her show it is incredible!!

It's crazy to me how weight can make you feel so many emotions. People judge you by a number instead of the way you look. Even worse, the person themselves let others make them feel this way about their own weight. We need to stop. We need to indulge every once in a while. We need to live... 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon