Gym Day

I rarely go to the gym to do a workout; so today was a nice change of pace! My husband mentioned going to the gym last night and I thought that would be a great idea! Now, granted I knew I would work out longer than he would so I went before he did and he eventually came and worked out later.

Warm up: To warm up I spun on the bike for about 15 minutes. I then did a couple of drills by pedaling with one foot at a time. Drills are important and I NEVER do them. However, I've been trying to school up on biking and thought today would be a good start.

Abs: I wanted to focus on abs next because I don't focus on them enough. Your core should be strong so that you can push yourself and your limits. To work out my abs I laid down on the decline bench and just rolled up (2x 25 each). These are realllyyy hard. After doing this ab exercise I did a set of 50 crunches followed by 10 pushups (and not the girly kind either). I then repeated this circuit one more time. To work on obliques I got an abs ball held it in my hands and rotated from side to side (2x 25). My abs are already hurting which is awesome :)

Weights: Yeah I suck at doing weights. Weights are good because they help you burn more calories for 48 hours after your workout as opposed to cardio which burns calories for 24 hours after your workout. I just did arm weights and focused on triceps, biceps and chest. I did four different exercises (not including the push ups which works arms and core).

Cardio: I'm running 13 miles on Sunday with a friend. I figured this would keep my distance up and would help her get ready for the half iron in about a week! Since I'm doing that I decided 5 miles would be good. I started off with about a 9 min/ mile pace and alternated between that and an 8 mile pace for a grand total of 42:35. Not bad. This is about a 8:31 min/mile pace... Not bad :) I really want to break 8 min miles consistently for a 5K so hopefully this will transfer into my long distances as well...

Overall, it was a nice relaxing day. I used to use my Fridays off to do dry-runs for the half iron... now it feels nice just doing whatever :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon