EAU Palm Beach Half Marathon: Race Overview

It's been two days since the half marathon and I am still feeling a little sore. The race was awesome! I PR'd: 1:49 which is an 8:21 min/mile pace. I had done well my first 8 miles, and then fell apart the last 5. My last split had me going from an 8:04 min/mile pace on mile 9 to an 8:21 min/mile pace at mile 13. Crazy huh? I slowed down significantly. Regardless, I did well and I'm happy with my results. I have one more shot at conquering the half marathon distance, so I'll continue my training.

Venue: The half marathon was held near the Meyer Amphitheater in West Palm Beach. I've raced this venue before during Motivation Man two years ago and thought it was beautiful. At the start line, you have the intercostal on your right which is breathtaking. The sight of all the boats docked and the sunset rising behind them is just incredible. Not only that, but everything is decorated for Christmas which makes the venue that much more beautiful!!The only thing that sucked about this venue is that it's an hour away! The race started at 6:30 which meant I had to wake up at 4:30. It was awful. Grade: B+

Logistics: The race was well set and I didn't have any confusion as I ran the course. The race started on time which is always a major plus in my books, and there were more than enough water stations. The entertainment on the course wasn't amazing, but they did have some bands and DJ booths. Grade: B+

Swag Bag: I was unimpressed with what I got in my bag. I literally got a t-shirt and coupon. I paid almost $100 for that crap? I've paid less and got so much more. Grade: D

Overall, the race was great. I'm not sure if I would do it again because of how far away the venue was located. There are plenty of half marathons in the area that I could always run which would make more sense for me to do.

Here are some pictures of the race:





I did make some rookie mistakes before the race. I ran for the first time with leggings I have never worn when working out. They kept sliding off in the beginning. What can I say? This is probably the worst athletic decision I had ever made before a race. Never again - I learned my lesson...

Thank you all for reading my blog :) Until the next run... happy trails :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon