Wetsuit

So after being pretty nervous about the tri situation- I decided I would go out and buy a wetsuit. Now this went against what I was giving up for lent- shopping. However, in my defense I think it was necessary. See I haven't swam for 8 months.. Some of you guys might think I'm an idiot for not even practicing the swim (and you are 100% correct). The reason why I'm telling you this is because that means swimming might not be the easiest thing for me tomorrow - add in cold water and I could have very well cramped up out there mid swim without a wetsuit. So I went off on my voyage to find a long-sleeve wetsuit.

So first I decided to set my sights on Sports Authority. I checked their website to make sure they carried wetsuits and they did so off I drove. I got to the store and only saw short-sleeve ones- that wasn't going to fly. You see, I am a person who hates being cold (no joke I was so anxious about attempting to swim in freezing water) and so short-sleeves would only cover some of me, not all of me. So I asked the guys who worked there where else I could go and they told me I should try a local surf shop.

So off I went on my second voyage. I walked in and right away someone helped me find a long-sleeve wetsuit (plus it was purple how frickin awesome was that?). The price tag wasn't great though (ugh 240 to be exact), but I knew I had to do it. I tried it on and it fit like a glove... I was sold :) Plus it ended up being 25% off for a grand total of $190...

So I came back with my wetsuit and started trying to read up online on what to expect and how I would feel. I read not so good things (problems dealing with the buoyancy, hyperventilation, etc) .... So I started getting anxious again. My neighbors had been outside pretty much the whole day and knew the story about me and the wetsuit so when I went outside with it on my neighbor suggested we try swimming in our retention pond. Now at first I wasn't too keen on the idea, but after a couple of minutes I figured what the hell I'm swimming in a lake tomorrow.

So I jumped into the water and it felt weird, but I could deal with it. It was frickin hilarious swimming in the back of the neighborhood in the retention pond but it calmed my nerves. I'm pretty ready tomorrow... I hope the rest of my body is ready too :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Another Runner's Journey Blog Design by Ipietoon